RE: Field Fixes

>A common thing that happens in the field is that the steel

>doesn’t quite fit or is misaligned. The contractor then asks

>if it is OK to just cut or trim a beam and then weld it back

>to fit....are there any special welding procedures required

>if you flame cut a beam and then weld it back?

The procedural requirements for field fixes are generally no different than they would be if those same kinds of operations were to be made in the shop. For example, the welding operations should still be done in accordance with AISC and AWS requirements, including an approved welding procedure specification. Bolting should still be done in accordance with AISC and RCSC requirements.

While we're on the subject of field fixes, AISC has a seminar that addresses many of the most common ones, including recommendations for how to prevent the actual problems from occuring in the future.. I've pasted in the description below. For more information, go to this link:

http://www.aisc.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Training_and_Education/Continuing_Education/Common_Problems_in_Design,_Fabrication_and_Erection_-_Solutions_and_Prevention/Common_Problems_in_Design,_Fabrication_and_Erection_-_Solutions_and_Prevention.htm

If that link doesn't work, go to http://www.aisc.org click on "training and education", then "seminars and workshops", then New Seminar for Fall 2003!   "Common Problems in Design, Fabrication and Erection - Solutions and Prevention"

Charlie

Common Problems in Design, Fabrication and Erection - Solutions and Prevention

by James M. Fisher of Computerized Structural Design and Lawrence A. Kloiber of LeJeune Steel

The purpose of the seminar is to discuss design, fabrication, and construction problems that have occurred on structural steel projects.  Solutions to recurring problems, and suggestions to prevent problems from occurring will be presented.

Topics include design issues such as material specifications, connection design requirements, use of standard details, sizing material for constructability, use of mill reports, perimeter details for tilt-up and pre-cast concrete walls, design procedures for fast track construction, electronic data transfer and shop drawing approval procedures.

  • Shop fabrication problems include misplaced holes; shop splicing, camber requirements, fabrication tolerances, quality control procedures, cleaning and painting.
  • Field problems include footing misplacement, anchor rod misplacement, anchor rod length errors, camber and floor levelness, hole alignment, columns not plumb, columns too short or too long, column splices, bolt installation and inspection, welding and weld inspection, RTU mislocation, crane rail location, spandrel beam location problems, shear connector installation, paint problems, steel joists too long or too short, joist reinforcing, bridging interference, deck openings, and many more.
  • Included will be a discussion of the proper procedures and documentation needed to verify that the revision complies with design requirements and has been properly made and inspected.  The attendee should leave the seminar better equipped to solve and prevent errors in his or her structural design.