Re: Field Fixes

Michael,

Done all the time; yes, done correctly; maybe.

Many beams are flame cut even in the shop.  However, the big difference is that in a shop this is general done by automatic machines guided by computer.  In the field it can be hard, depending on the condition, to hand flame cut a straight and smooth edge.  AWS D1.1 section 5.15 has several subsections on preparation of the base metal.  Make sure that these straightness and smoothness requirements are met.  Secondly make sure there is an approved Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) that covers the type of weld required.  I would require that the field submit a detail and procedure for your review before letting them do this on their own.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Michael Bryson" <mbryson(--nospam--at)NYASE.com>

08/28/2003 10:01 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Field Fixes

A common thing that happens in the field is that the steel doesn’t quite fit or is misaligned. The contractor then asks if it is OK to just cut or trim a beam and then weld it back to fit. Since this is done all the time I shouldn’t have any problems with it.

However, are there any special welding procedures required if you flame cut a beam and then weld it back?

TIA