Re: reducing rod deflection with tension force

Just a thought, but if the compression chord is shored to where all tension is taken from the rod it seems the sag could be taken out much easier.  A worker (or two) could lift the sag out of the rod until nuts are tightened.  When the shoring is released the rod will take the required tension and then no extra compression to the compression member.  Just a thought.

Joseph R. Grill, PE
----- Original Message -----
To: Seaint
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 7:00 AM
Subject: reducing rod deflection with tension force

I have a queen post truss with 1" rods for the bottom chord.  The spacing between the panel points is 22 feet.  According to our calculations, the 1" rods would sag about 10" under their own weight if they are not in tension and free to move at their ends.  I would like to find out how much tension will need to be applied to reduce the self-weight deflection to a reasonable amount - say 1/2".

I see from Roark's formulas - Table 12 Case 3 that if the ends can't move, then the force on the ends would be about 1100 pounds and the deflection of the rod would be about 1 1/2".

While this is helpful, this formula does not get me the force required to bring the rod up that remaining 1" to get the deflection down to 1/2".  I understand that it is not possible to get the deflection to zero and expect that as one approaches zero the force qets quite high.  What I don't want to do is to specify that the erector have to take more sag out of the rod than is reasonable - thus inducing huge tension forces.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.