Re: 1919 concrete building

Steve Kramer wrote:

I'm trying to estimate the live load capacity for a 1919 concrete building with what I think is Kahn reinforcing.  The Beam schedule indicates "1/2" K.B., 3/4"K.B., 2 1/4"K.B. & 2 3/4" K.B." reinforcing in addition to various size R.B. which I assume is round bars that are straight or bent. Does anyone have any information on these size bars that might help to determine the tension area and the shear area.  The schedule indicates a spacing of 12 or 24 inches for "std. shear diag."  Also, the slab is indicated as 4 inch thick using No. 4 Rib Metal.  Does anyone have any information on this.

I searched my old books at home last night and found a 1918 copy of the "Concrete Engineers' Handbook," by Hool and Johnson which lists Kahn bars and Rib Metal.  I also have a 1928 "Truscon Reinforced Concrete Data Book." Truscon was the producer of Kahn trussed bars.

R.B might mean Ribbed Bars.

If you will email me your fax number privately, I will send a copy of some of the pages to you.
--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA
a practical architectural engineer

"Education is what you get from reading the fine print;
 Experience is what you get from ignoring it."