Seminars

Just a small bit of personal feedback on these seminars that AISC, ACI, and others puts out:

1)       they tend to be offered during the weekday during business hours when I am extremely busy and cannot always afford or be given permission to take time off from work (notwithstanding that some engineers abhor to give up any part of their weekend)

2)       they can be prohibitively expensive, two hundred to four hundred dollars or more, as I may not be always able to have my company sponsor me

I think these apply commonly also to others especially younger engineers. This is too bad because it is probably younger engineers that would benefit a great deal from them. I get lots of newsletters and flyers for seminars that sound interesting but I am always disappointed to note the time and cost that rules them out for me. The rare seminars that I have somehow managed to attend have been very good, for the most part.

I think the SEAOC seminars are probably the most reasonable in terms of the times they have them (evenings or weekends) and the cost is usually relatively low that I don’t mind paying out of my own pocket.