RE: Seminars

Michael,

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. We have considered some of the suggestions you have made. Additionally, we have surveyed engineers to determine preferences of the majority. The results and feedback were interesting and has guided us in how we offer what we offer.

Less than 10 percent of the respondents preferred to attend a weekend seminar. More than 75 percent indicated they would prefer to attend courses that start at mid-day and continue into the evening. There was significant agreement with your point that all-day scheduling should be avoided when possible.

We have added online continuing education capability to provide lower-cost presentation of AISC seminars that are no longer offered in person. For example, the connection design seminar we offered up until about two years ago is now accessible electronically at www.aisc.org/seminarsonline. We charge less for it because the experience is just not the same when you're not there in person and able to interact with the speaker. On the plus side, though, you can take it at 2 am in your PJs if that is what you want to do.

Among employers -- and some employees -- there is not general recognition that "sharpening the axe" is a necessary activity for maintaining a healthy business. I sympathize with you that schedule demands and employer permissions do not always allow attendance at seminars. For my part, I try to practice what I preach. I insist (and schedule work time for) my employees to take seminars that I agree will help them to better do their jobs. I strongly believe this is the only way to stay current and growing in productivity and worth. Note that I do not approve of high-cost and low-benefit seminars, which seem to be very common these days.

Hopefully this does not sound defensive: nobody provides seminars of higher quality and lower cost per hour than AISC. Many providers are significantly higher in cost and very suspect on the associated content. I won't name names. There are also many providers that are similar in cost and quality, like Bob Shaw's excellent seminars.

I do recognize that SEAOC, SEAOI and other similar organizations sometimes offer shorter and cheaper seminarsI'm involved in the planning for some of these seminars for SEAOI and know that there are only two ways an SEA can offer seminars cheaper: either they are using an old AISC, ACI or similar program "for free" or the speaker they are using does not value his or her time enough to charge appropriately for the service they are providing. Most engineers have this problem. Either way, it's hard to justify the comparison.

Again, I thank you for your feedback and hope that we can continue to find ways to meet your needs for technical information. I'd be interested in any further feedback, either privately or to the whole list.

Charlie