RE: Fireproofing

>Does any one know when is the structure steel building required
>fireproofing?  Couple years ago I designed an building consits of
>concrete over metal deck and supported by metal joists.  The
>metal joist rested on steel beam.  I assumed that the steels
>required fireproffing, but it's not.  I don't know why it's not
>required fireproofing?

Fireproofing requirements vary by occupancy, exposure, construction details, and other factors.

In some cases, the fire protection is provided by means other than spray-on fireproofing. The construction may be using a rated assembly that depends upon the known performance of a heat sink in contact with the steel, like the slab above the metal deck. If selected of a thickness in accordance with the rated assembly, the fireproofing on the deck can be eliminated. Or, perhaps the final floor-ceiling assembly is a rated assembly that provides the necessary fire protection without the addition of spray-on fireproofing.

In some cases, there is no need for fireproofing to be applied. As an example, it is known that the fire load and temperature generation capability for an open-deck parking structure is such that there is no need for fire protection. As another example, it is known that the addition of an automated sprinkler system has a demonstrated effectiveness in reducing risk for life safety that for building-code-specified occupancy limits, height limits and area limits, no fireproofing is needed.

In a few cases, I have also seen buildings engineered for fire resistance to purposefully allow the elimination of spray-on fireproofing.

While we're on this subject, AISC is now finalizing a design guide on fire protection of steel. It also covers to a brief extent fire engineering as a concept. It will be in print by the end of the year and offer explicit guidance as to the use of the model building codes and UL and other rated assemblies to achieve fire safety economically in steel.

Charlie