RE: Field Fixes

>What if the entire building used bolted connection,
>is it OK for the contractor to field cut and field weld
>one end?

In order to understand when this is acceptable you need to understand why
the bolted   connection is considered to be a pinned connection.  In most
cases when you weld the web of the beam to the support you will have a
fixed end connection and in most such instances this connection is not able
to resist the resulting moments.  In some instances the support may not
have any rotational resistance and you can still consider it a pinned
connection.

Mark Gilligan