RE: Fireproofing

Look at the IBC or NFPA occupancy ratings types of construction for required
area separation  and required fire-resistance.

-----Original Message-----
From: ken kirkland [mailto:kenmail234(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2003 10:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Fireproofing

Does any one know when is the structure steel building required
fireproofing?  Couple years ago I designed an building consist of concrete
over metal deck and supported by metal joists.  The metal joist rested on
steel beam.  I assumed that the steels required fireproofing, but it's not.
I don't know why it's not required fireproofing?

Eric Ober <eober(--nospam--at)holbertapple.com> wrote:

I thought I've seen fireproofing weighing anywhere from 15 pcf up to 40 pcf
(Grace FP Products).  Assuming a W18x35, surface area (minus top of top
flange) = 4.34 sf/ft (AISC Manual).  For each inch of FP, weight of FP = 5.5
plf to 14.5 plf.  Depending on how much FP, average weight is probably at
most in the 2 to 3 psf range and I generally lump that into the
"Miscellaneous" load.  Special situations might require a closer look.