Wood screws

1.  The 1997 NDS gives pilot hole sizes for wood screws, one size for the unthreaded shank portion of the screw and one size for the threaded portion.  This is often done with a step-drill.  I have a contractor who wants to install the screw into a tapered pilot hole.  Is there an taper drill configuration that will provide an installation that is equivalent to using a step-drilled pilot hole?

2.  Don't laugh at this question -- I really want to know.  The NDS provides for using soap as a lubricant to facilitate installation of wood screws.  What kind of soap is used?  Bar soap?  Soft soap?  Soapy water?  How about antibacterial Softsoap?  Is detergent acceptable?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net