Re: Wood screws

Jim,

I, too, had what have seemed to be good results with whatever was at the
kitchen sink, even dishwashing detergent -- yesterday morning, mounting a
new flag bracket on the barge-board at the front of my house, it was
anti-bacterial Soft-soap.  I just hoped that I wasn't using something that
would have some long term damaging consequences.  The trouble I had with the
soft-soap was it made the screws slippery and hard to handle and I had to
get down off the ladder to retrieve one from among the flowers, wash the
dirt off, and re-apply the lubricant after I dropped it.  That probably
wouldn't have happened with bar soap.  Otherwise, as far as I can tell, any
kind of soap, or soap substitute, seems to be an effective lubricant for
wood screws.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA