RE: Fireproofing

Ken, most of the metal buildings are type V non rated (V-B in the IBC, V-N in the UBC) per table 601 in the IBC (table 6-A in the UBC) the structural frame is not required to be fireproofed.  If it is built as a type V-A (or V-1 hour), then it is required to provide 1 hour fire protection to the structural frame.

-----Original Message-----
From: ken kirkland [mailto:kenmail234(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2003 10:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Fireproofing

Does any one know when is the structure steel building required fireproofing?  Couple years ago I designed an building consits of concrete over metal deck and supported by metal joists.  The metal joist rested on steel beam.  I assumed that the steels required fireproffing, but it's not.  I don't know why it's not required fireproofing?

Eric Ober <eober(--nospam--at)holbertapple.com> wrote:

I thought I've seen fireproofing weighing anywhere from 15 pcf up to 40 pcf (Grace FP Products).  Assuming a W18x35, surface area (minus top of top flange) = 4.34 sf/ft (AISC Manual).  For each inch of FP, weight of FP = 5.5 plf to 14.5 plf.  Depending on how much FP, average weight is probably at most in the 2 to 3 psf range and I generally lump that into the "Miscellaneous" load.  Special situations might require a closer look.