RE: English is tough

Technical writing was a required class when I went school, which wasn't too
long ago.  It was only a semester and was, IMHO, a very good class.  We
worked on writing engineering reports, manuals, letters to clients, etc.  We
basically practiced to write short, concise, to the point documents.  But
what railroaded me was when I started working.

I would write my letters and reports that explained things simply.  Doing my
best to do what I was taught in school.  When my boss would proof read them
they always came back with a lot of red marks that resulted in my report
being substantially longer and not concise at all.

For example, the following sentace:  The beam is exhibiting a deflection
greater then one inch at midspan.

Would turn into:  The beam, located at the southwest corner of the building
in question, spanning in the north-south direction, supporting the new
masonry partition wall, is apparently deflection greater then one inch at
midspan.

Why do I have to write a run on sentence to explain all that when all the
supporting information is already in the paragraph?  Basically, I was told I
had write like this because of lawyers who nit pick sentances in a court
room.  Now, I've never been in court to defend a sentence before, but this
seems ridiculouos.

I think part of the problem is most engineers think they have to write in
legelese to cover their butts.

Go Blue.

Alden Manipula