From: Randy Vogelgesang <tahoeengineering(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wood screws
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

--- "Nels Roselund, SE" <njineer(--nospam--at)att.net> wrote:

> 2.  Don't laugh at this question -- I really want to
> know.  The NDS provides
> for using soap as a lubricant to facilitate
> installation of wood screws.
> What kind of soap is used?  Bar soap?  Soft soap?
> Soapy water?  How about
> antibacterial Softsoap?  Is detergent acceptable?

>From my wood working experience, bar soap (like Ivory
soap) works very well.  I can't imagine that a liquid
soap or detergent would work as good.
Randy"

I was always taught that soap is hydrophilic and thus
shouldn't be used in wood, as it will attract water.
In my woodworking, I use candle wax.  If you're going
to use soap, use a bar.  You rasp the screw over the
bar (or candle) and pick up a little on the threads.
It doesn't take much, and you don't want much if
you're putting a finish on, because either wax or soap
will screw up most finishes.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota