Low mortor prism test results

I have test results for mortor in an 8" CMU wall as 800 psi for type S
mortor.

I was told by a local masonry representative that he wasn't concerned
because the mix they used was pre-approved/pre-packaged as type s mortor and
that they are allowed to add as much water as needed to make it workable.

This doesn't seem right.  Wouldn't adding water incrase the w/c ratio and
decrease compressive strength?

Also, ACI 530-02 Section 1.14.7.1 says "Compressive strength of masonry
shall be considered satisfactory if the compressive strength of each masonry
wythe and grouted collar joint equals or exceeds the value of f'm"

So shouldn't there be a concern if the mortor test results are so low if the
specified f'm=1500 psi?  ACI318 is clear on acceptance criteria, but 530 is
not.

Any advice appreciated.

TIA

Alden