Re: OCBF gusset plates

Drew:

The paragraph you quoted indicates that the SCBF is to be used when
significant ductility is needed.  Conversely, if significant ductility is
not needed, AND the Applicable Building Code height limitations allow it,
an OCBF might be appropriate.

The AISC "Special" frames are expected to withstand significant inelastic
deformations.  They accomplish this by sizing members for the design force
levels of the Applicable Building Code and conformance to the detailing
requirements of the 2002 Seismic Provisions.

The AISC "Ordinary" frames are expected to withstand limited inelastic
deformations.  They accomplish this by sizing members for higher design
force levels of the Applicable Building Code,  with few detailing
requirements.  There are no ductility requirements for OCBF gusset plates
in the 2002 AISC Seismic Provisions, explicit or implied.

Note that the 2002 AISC Seismic Provisions are directly referenced by ASCE
7-02, 2003 IBC, the 2002 NFPA 5000.  If your local jurisdiction does not
require conformance with one of these Applicable Building Codes, you might
be required to conform with an earlier version of the AISC Seismic
Provisions.  All versions of the AISC Seismic Provisions published since
1997 are available for FREE download as PDF files from the AISC web site,
AISC.ORG.

Regards,

Rick Drake, SE

*********

                      Drew Morris
                      <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com>       To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                      09/03/03 11:25 AM
                      Please respond to        cc:
                      seaint
                                               Subject:  Re: OCBF gusset plates

Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)Fluor.com wrote:

> Which part of the 2002 Seismic Provisions Commentary implies that the
> gusset plates under OCBF should consider buckling?
>
> Rick Drake, SE

On page 122 in the second paragraph of the 2002 AISC Seismic Provisions,
the commentary states "It is the intent of the Provisions that SCBF be
used for all concentrically Braced Frames where significant ductility is
needed."

the views of the company.