RE: OCBF gusset plates

>On page 122 in the second paragraph of the 2002
>AISC Seismic Provisions, the commentary states
>"It is the intent of the Provisions that SCBF be
>used for all concentrically Braced Frames where
>significant ductility is needed."

This intent of this statement is that the Committee encourages the use of
SCBF instead of OCBF. The reasoning behind this is that SCBF are configured
so that the system will yield and buckle the braces. This provides more
reliable and extensive energy dissipation capability than what is achievable
in OCBF, which have gusset failure modes likely to control the system
design. The intent is not that OCBF gussets be designed like SCBF gussets.

Hope this helps.

Charlie