From: GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 2:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Seminars and English

To those who asked,  the publication on the AISC web page I was referring to
is "Notes on Design Of Steel Parking Structures Including Seismic Effects".

It is worth reading,  not to learn about designing parking garages, but as
an example of truly bad writing.  I.e., how not to write.

There is a grammatical error in almost every other sentence; some sentences
are so badly written, they are meaningless.

For example:

"In building a slab system, if care is used in all steps except the use of
high-quality concrete, the parking deck slab will present a problem."

One author is a principal in an engineering firm, the other is a professor
at Berkeley.

Gail Kelley