Re: Seminars and English

Not to further complicate the issue, but the intent of the sentance is
also somewhat dependent on what is being used as the definition of
"high-quality concrete".  Does that mean the concrete material only (i.e.
the cement, the aggregate, the water, and the add mixtures) excluding the
process of placing, finishing, and curing?  Or does that mean the whole
"concreting process" to achieve the final in place concrete, which would
include placing, finishing, and curing?  In otherword, using high-quality
concrete materials WITHOUT proper attention to placing, finishing, or
curing will likely still result in potential problems.  Such would then
constitute a case of not taking care in the use of "high-quality
concrete" (i.e. the materials were good but the use/application of the
material was not).  If it is the later definition, then that would be in
line with what Charley believes is the intent (i.e. the failure to use
high-quality materials PLUS good construction processes will prevent
potential slab problems).

But, then the above had nothing really to do with grammar, but more with
the context of the sentence in the rest of the information.

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI