From: valentin.shustov(--nospam--at)csun.edu [mailto:valentin.shustov(--nospam--at)csun.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 8:33 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: English is tough but its "grammer" is even tougher

English looks very tough and its "grammer" seems even tougher. I do not mean
the "grammer" as the "grammar" but the "grammer"
as a non-traditional spelling of the word "grammar" introduced
by Scott Maxwell in his two messages of 2 Sep 2003 devoted to
better English for engineers.  Thanks!!

The following is the list of this and other upgrading of the
English Spelling in those messages: "grammer" (4 times),
"intented", "otherwords", "momuments", "techinical" (2 times),
"sophmore", "sypathize", and "sentances".

One of the Scott's messages was addressed to Alden Manipula
who also engaged non-traditional "sentace", "sentances",
"ridiculouos", and "legelese" in his response.

Gail Kelley who, actually, started the discussion on
engineering schools that "put a very low premium on teaching
engineers to speak and write correctly. which is one reason
engineers get very little respect", used only one irregular
word "polical" in the short message of 31 Aug 2003 against my
usage of the word-combination "aspired position".

However, my search in Google for the word-combination "aspired
position" resulted in 29600 entries.  It is widely used in
different personnel questionnaires and human recourses related
literature.

What a pity!

Write safely,

Valentin Shustov, Ph.D., P.E.