RE: seminars and english

I also like the first revision.

The document as worded is ambiguous.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher S. Campbell [mailto:ccampbell(--nospam--at)ofainc.net]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 9:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: seminars and english

Since I have a sister with a degree in English, I thought I'd pose her this
question.  I gave her the sentence, and asked her to tell me what she
thought it meant.  By the way, she now works editing technical documents, so
I figured her opinion was awfully relevant.  I would hope you all would take
special care to note the last portion.  So, although I think Gail has chosen
a tiny thing to squabble about - its fair to say that the sentence is poorly
written.  Frankly, I would put five (5) bucks down on a bet that the person
who wrote the sentence learned English as a second language (lawyers being
excepted).

"In building a slab system, if care is used in all steps except the use of
high-quality concrete, the parking deck slab will present a problem."

First rule of editing: When in doubt, reword (e.g., can't figure out if it
should be "who" or "whom"? don't make that pronoun an object, and bam, no
problem).

So, three alternative wordings:

The parking deck slab will present a problem if high-quality concrete is not
used.
The parking deck slab will present a problem if high-quality concrete is not
used when building the slab.
When building the parking deck slab, the use of less-than-high-quality
concrete will present a problem.

(I prefer the first.)

The original sentence has a couple of problems. First, "use of high-quality
concrete" is not really a step, right? Pouring concrete is a step. Using
high-quality concrete is a choice. Plus it's subjective (unless you have
industry standard measurements that delineate low-quality and high-quality
concrete). Secondly, it's wordy; there is no need for the initial clause "In
building a slab system" -- by the time you get to this sentence, people
should know you're talking about building a slab; neither is there need to
say that "if care is used" in all other steps, because it doesn't seem like
it matter if you use care or not, using crap concrete will cause problems.
Plus why say "if you use care"? It would be like saying in Genentech
documentation, "if you don't spit in the vial." You're supposed to use care,
right? You get sued if you don't. So why say it?

Thirdly, it isn't speaking to its audience. Engineers like exactitude.
That's why they're engineers, not politicians. I think most technical or
manufacturing people like their information succinct and to the point, like
code: If X, then Y. No need to get all flowery about it.

Christopher S. Campbell
O'Connor Freeman & Assoc., Inc.
225 30th Street, Suite 201
Sacramento, CA  95816