English/Grammar/Whatever

The point of my previous posts was to express my opinion that one of the reasons most engineers do not write well is that many of them only read engineering literature. A lot of engineering literature, including that published by organizations such as the Structural Steel Educational Council, is extremely badly written.  Many engineers cannot even tell when something is badly written, because that is all they read.

I picked the document " Notes on Design Of Steel Parking Structures Including Seismic Effects" because I thought it was particularly poor, but quite a few of the other SSEC documents are badly written.

I noted one sentence from this document in a previous post, just as an example.  Here are two more:

"To ensure long term durability of reinforced concrete decks and to avoid corrosion, the use of epoxy-coated."

> Either the above sentence is missing something, or I am.

"Internal stresses are reduced and better managed by utilization of appropriately spaced expansion joints, and construction joints – such as pour strips."

> Is this saying that pour strips are the same thing as expansion and construction joints?

There are grammatical errors (punctuation, subject-verb agreement, verb tense) throughout the document.  The technical content is also, at best, weak.

On the plus side, it is a free document.

Gail Kelley