Re: English/Grammar/Whatever

Gail:

While I may not agree with the "exactitude" (sp?) that Ray expresses,  I
have to kind of agree with his intent (at least as I read it).  If you
point was to "...express my opinion that one of the
reasons most engineers do not write well is that many of them only read
engineering literature," then I would have to say that your point was not
clearly articulated in your previous posts.  The point of your previous
posts seemed to be that engineers don't write well, thus we get not
respect and here is/are (some) example(s).  Thus, I would not be too much
of a jerk (said with a smirk) to ask if that then made you guilty of
"poor writing" since your point did not seem to be clearly articulated?

And to further one of Ray's other points, I _HARDLY_ ever read engineering
publications other than magazine articles, unless I am reading for a
specific purpose (to find an answer to a question, for example).  Instead,
most of my reading by an overwhelming majority is of "popular" fiction
books.  They may not be literary master pieces or even very sophisticated
in terms of English language use, but they are definitely not engineering
publications.  And most of my friends who are engineers are in similar
positions.  They may not list the same types of fiction (or non-fiction)
books that I like, but they tend to spend way more time reading
non-engineering stuff.

Ragards,

Scott (FWIW, structural engineering NERD to the core...and proud of it)
Ypsilanti, MI