From: Jim Persing [mailto:jpersing(--nospam--at)fhoarch.com]
Sent:
Monday, September 08, 2003 9:45 AM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Enlarging a footing

I always specify sandblasting or bush hammering to 1/4" amplitude.  But it can be spendy if you have a lot of footing to do.  Developing transverse bending moment stresses is not especially nice, either.  And you never know what the difference in true bearing values are with freshly compacted soil adjacent to a footing that has been there and settled for a length of time.

Jim Persing, PE