From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 12:59 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Enlarging a footing

I totally agree with Jim’s concern.

I understand the desire not to disturb the existing soil, but the new section of the footing will be disturbed and the amount of load it picks up will be suspect IMO.

Underpinning might not be so bad. You could do it in four foot sections, alternating sections and doing it in two phases. In the first phase, leave a section of bar protruding from each end to lap with bars in the 2nd phase.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

V/F (949) 248-8588

San Juan Capistrano, CA

http://members.cox.net/ballense/