From: Nels Roselund, SE [mailto:njineer(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent
:
Monday, September 08, 2003 1:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Enlarging a footing

Gerard,

Instead of developing shear into the sides of the existing footing, how about making the new footings a few inches deeper [say 6"] than the existing, with a small continuous projection [say 1-1/2"] under the edges of the existing.  You would still need dowels into or through the existing footing to develop the moment due to the extension, but the surface preparation on the sides could be avoided.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net