Re: Enlarging a footing

Nels:

This is what we've done in the past.   We typically drop it the add'l 6" and call out a 3" projection under the existing.  Normally, this isn't an issue getting the add'l 1-1/2" because the live load isn't applied while this is going on.  There for reduced bearing area required.  And we still epoxy the horizontal dowels into the existing.