Re: Enlarging a footing

Gerard

The portion under the edges of the existing footings would be analyzed as a corbel -- I expect that the stress would be so low that they need not be reinforced; if not add some depth.  Dowels through the existing footing, embedded in the new concrete each side would provide transverse flexural strength to resist cracking of the existing footing.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net

Gerard wrote:

I thought about this as well as one solution. My main concern would be cracking of the existing footing with a small bearing area on the new concrete and then cracking of the new projection under the existing. But if done continuously, the loads may be small enough. With the soil underneath, its more of a crushing effect than a bending of the projection, which would seem to make this idea more practical – this may work.

Thanks,

-gerard