Re: Enlarging a footing

OK, here's running off on a tangent, but slightly related:

The issue of allowable soil bearing usually being based on settlement
was brought up.  For clay soils, if consolidation settlement governs
allowable bearing, shouldn't there be some sort of "duration factor" for
roof live loads?  A design snow load event in most cases would occupy a
very short duration of time.  I've looked through what I have by Boles,
Das, and the NAVFAC manuals, but couldn't find anything on it.  Has
anybody ever seen it discussed?

Thanks,

Ed Tornberg, PE
Blazer Industries, Inc.