Re: Enlarging a footing

Ed,

Every time when I have dealt with a geotech for a soils report, one of the
pieces of information that I have given him/her before the invesitgation
gets too far is an approximation of the maximum total, dead, and live
loads that would be expected.  Generally, we will also include the
approximate "ranges" of those loads from area to area.  Since most of my
projects have been spread footings, presumably this information is then
used by the geotech with the soil information found during the testings to
estimate the potential settlement and relative settlement.  The type of
soil and type of load would be a factor in this "estimate".

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI