Re: Lubricating Wood screws (Re-Post)

Thanks, Charley.  That *is* interesting!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Charley Hamilton wrote:

. > Roger -

. > I can't say for certain, but I would personally disallow
. > liquid soaps of any type, on the grounds that the liquid
. > content may adversely affect the wood grain (swelling,
. > attract bugs, etc).  If the contractor *wants* to use
. > something else, ask them to show that it's safe.

. > Just my $0.02, and no real experience with liquid
. > soaps/detergents to back it up.

. > I found the following on the web.  Although I haven't
. > done the chemistry, it might have some merit.  I've never
. > seen it happen, though.  I (like almost everyone else,
. > it seems) use ivory.

. >  From http://www.onthehouse.com/wp/19980112
. > ==========================================
. > Sliding the screw threads over bee's wax will ease the
. > job of driving the screw all the way home. Since most
. > screws are made of brass or steel, it is important not
. > to use soap as a lubricant. The soap's caustic compounds
. > can cause the screw to eventually deteriorate.

. > Charley Hamilton

. > --
. > Charles Hamilton, PhD EIT               Faculty Fellow
. > Department of Civil and                 Phone: 949.824.3752
. >      Environmental Engineering           FAX:   949.824.2117
. > University of California, Irvine        Email: chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu