RE: horizontal bar distance below top of wall?

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Hemstad [mailto:mlhemstad(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 9:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: horizontal bar distance below top of wall?

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Haan, Scott M. wrote:

> Hello:
>
> How far can the first horizontal bar be below the
top of a poured
> concrete wall?  Code reference?  It seems you would
need one in the
> first half of a spacing to get your reinforcement
ratio or if it was
> required for shear.
Is
> there something that says you need to have
reinforcement within a
> certain definite distance?  Thanks.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Scott M. Haan P.E.

Scott,
UBC97  Section 1914.3.5 mandates no more than half the
bar spacing.  The sentence is italicized, meaning it
was added to the requirements of ACI 318.  It was not
added to IBC that I can find.

In any event, I would strongly recommend putting a bar
right at the top, for crack control; but you probably
are not in a position to make anyone do it.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota