Re: Enlarging a footing

Thor and Gerard,

The basis that I use for developing soil friction for uplift is the
exception paragraph of 1997 UBC Section 1807.10   A deepened section of each
end of the footing can be very useful for a shear wall footing.  I've think
I've probably used that provision for friction value to develop uplift
friction on the sides and end of an undeepened footing.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net