Re: CMU Wall Strengthening

I didn't clearly state what the steel lintel bearing condition is.  The
brick wraps the jamb the 12" wall thickness.  You only see the CMU from
inside the building.  The 4" bearing on brick is the 4" that wraps the
jamb.  Then it extends 4" more onto the CMU.  When the brick is replaced
4" of the bearing length will be removed and 4" will remain.  I am asking
for temporary shoring of the lintel until the brick is replaced.  I guess
the shoring should stay in place for a few days.  I can't tell hat the
steel lintel is.  From the bottom I see a steel plate.  It is buried in
the wall.

I can't tell if there is a grouted collar joint.  It is not exposed
anywhere.  Only after some of the brick is removed would I know that.  I
would assume the wall is not composite for gravity loads, although I
don't know the intentions of the original designer.  It is an old
building and there aren't any drawings around for it.  It is a strip
warehouse.  Perhaps the designer used composite width for wind loads.  It
is in East Texas so seismic is not a consideration.

I think a truck hit it due to other evidence.  The steel track jambs of
the overhead door were recently replaced.  How recent I was not able to
find out.  All the other door steel jambs are painted.  This one jamb has
not paint with some rusting.  The rusting is not that extensive so I
think it is fairly new.

Rich

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!