Re: Article from the Chicago Sun-Times

Corley's article points out the inadequacies of much of the protection
claimed by fire sprinkler systems. As we all know one of the largest
buildings in the world at the time, the Chicago Convention Center burned
completely down about 20 yrs. ago due to the fact that the fire
sprinklers did not operate. They had been turned off for water line
maintenance. The building was a several acre steel building.
Another factor not mentioned is that when fire sprinklers do work, the
contents and the interior walls, ceiling and many other parts of the
building are usually completely ruined by the water damage.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA