RE: Article from the Chicago Sun-Times

>As we all know one of the largest
>buildings in the world at the time,
>the Chicago Convention Center burned
>completely down about 20 yrs. ago due
>to the fact that the fire
>sprinklers did not operate. They had
>been turned off for water line maintenance.

Exactly. The sprinkler system did not fail.

>Another factor not mentioned is that when fire
>sprinklers do work, the contents and the interior
>walls, ceiling and many other parts of the
>building are usually completely ruined by the
>water damage.

There has never been a space exposed to fire in which the contents, interior
walls, ceiling and many other parts of the building were not ruined (by
fire, smoke, water, etc.). Smoke damage may be worse than water damage. You
can never really get the smell of the smoke out of the space.

Charlie