From: Gary Hodgson & Associates [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)vaxxine.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 8:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Request for Earthquake References

I'd like to ask the list's assistance for the following:  I am
writing to the National Research Council of Canada (which produces
our National Building Code) to complain about some of the earthquake
provisions and request clarification of them.

As one from an area of low seismic activity and, being seismically
challenged, I would like to obtain a list of references on EQ design,
preferably those with lots of design examples to either reinforce my
arguments or show me the error of my ways.

As a sole practitioner, I am not involved in any skyscrapers but more
often single or multi-unit residential units, small and medium
buildings (with and without crane structures) and storage racks.
Perhaps limiting the size of the structure will narrow down the range
of references and limit expenses.  In the past, I have seen reference
to the SEOC blue book and a book (review manual) by Ben Yousefi.

Before I spend any money on publications with which I'm unfamiliar, I
would appreciate people's input.  Because we work with different
codes than the US, it is important to find publications with design
examples so I can, hopefully, translate them to Canadian
requirements.

thanks,
Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON