Re: Article from the Chicago Sun-Times

Scott,

        Having only recently completed the rehabilitation of a 33 suite fire
damaged building I can confirm, from personal experience, that the water
damage IS more extensive than the fire damage.  But with fire, as with
earthquake, the main aim is to prevent PEOPLE damage; buildings (except for
rare historical sites) can always be replaced with the insurance money (in
most cases even when there isn't any insurance there is money).

        As an example on how extensive water dammage can be, "The History
Channel" did a television documentary three or four years ago dealing with the
restoration of Windsor Castle, in England.  If you're interested, I would
recommend finding it.  What the restorers of Windsor Castle found in their
restoration we found in our restoration.  Only the magnitude (and, of course
the amount of money available) was different.  In our case, only the basic
masonry components remained intact; of the remainder, only the structural
components could be salvaged and restored; all of the non structural
components had to be completely removed.  If the building wasn't of (at least
some) historical significance the whole thing would have been converted into a
parking lot.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson