RAT SLAB help, PLEASE !!!

Hi
I found your site by accident doing a search for "rat slab". I have a large room (22' x 40') in my
'50s vintage home that was added on after the house was built. When they added it, they did not dig
out an addition to the  basement, but rather a crawl space about 3' below the rooms floor,
accessible only from the regular basement. It has some ventilation grids (4" x 8") in it but it has
a dirt floor. The room always has a musty odor and I've been told I need a rat slab, which I assume
is a layer of concrete poured under there.
I live in Connecticut so it gets pretty cold sometimes but cold has not really been an issue with
the room. The room used to have wall to wall carpet over plywood and the smell of the rug was awful.
We tore all the carpet up, scrubbed the plywood with bleach and let it dry. We then applied 2 coats
of "KILZ" sealer on the wood, applied tar paper and installed an oak hardwood floor. The result is
improved but not gone. The smell still creeps in.
Anyone? advice please. I don't even know who to look for in the yellow pages.
My guess is that heavy plastic first and then pressure shot concrete to cover.
Thank you very much in advance,
You may contact me directly if you wish at
whitestars(--nospam--at)msn.com
Jackie Mason