Re: Article from the Chicago Sun-Times

Roger:

I agree.  But, then we are faced with the question of how to provide that
safety economically.  And that is where the two sides come in (with both
this specific case of fire protection or just in general).  In the case of
fire protection, which would provide safety in an economic
manner...sprinklers or passive measure or is it a combination of both?
Personally, I am not nearly enough of an expert in fire protection to
really know.  What I _DO_ know is how to spot "spin" many times...this can
allow me (hopefully) to try to sort thru the half-truths and lack of truth
by omission to finally get to the truth to make a good decision.  But, one
truth that I do know is that the code process _DOES_ get influenced by
finicial decisions that don't always necessarily correspond with the best
safety choice.  Should it be different?  You bet.  But, then the other
truth is that just about EVERYBODY has some sort of agenda that may or may
not influence their decisions in some significant way.

Like or not, virtually eeryone "spins" things.  When you talk with a
client about a possible job do you point out the 100% truthful things that
would support the idea that one of your competitors might do a better job
designing their project because they might have more experience in that
particular type of work?  Probably not.  You likely focus on your
strengths when compared with others and omit your weaknesses or their
strengths.  Job applicants do the same.  For an entry level engineer just
coming out of school, if their grades are bad, they will work to
"de-highlight" that fact (i.e. they won't show their GPA on their resume)
and highlight things that they did well.  This is spinning the truth (show
what you want and hide or omit or fuzzy what you don't).

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI