seismic design manual - volume 1 - seaoc

don't have it in front of me so going from memory...

the single story example showing how to apply the out of plane lateral
seismic forces makes sense to me.  the two story example that immediately
follows confuses me.  they don't specifically show the shear and moment
diagrams (conveniently) but they do show reactions.  these reactions look
like two adjacent simple span beams - right?  shouldn't this model be a
continuous beam with full height continuity?

tia