Re: Site Classification per IBC 2000

I've never used different site classifications for the *same* structure, but
it could make sense for two immediately adjacent structures with an
expansion joint.  Especially for a large building where there is significant
change in grade and soil characteristics across the site.  For a single
building with a single seismic system, you have no choice but to use a
single site classification, which means the more conservative one.

However, I agree with your arguments.  Look at the final paragraph in
section 1615.1.5:
"The rock categories, Site Classes A and B, shall not be used if there is
more than 10 feet of soil between the rock surface and the bottom on the
spread footing or mat foundation."

This implies to me that site class B *CAN* be used if there is 9.5 ft. of
soil over class B rock.  Even if you have 10.5 ft. of soil over the rock,
this should not be classified as class D.  The worst case would be class C
in my far from expert opinion.

Good luck talking the geotech into raising the site class.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com