RE: seismic design manual - volume 1 - seaoc

To say the least, your argument below makes my point that 32-2 is too
complicated and should be eaiser to interpret.

I disagree that there is a "rectangular distribution" defined at the
bottom of the panel. What is done with this "rectangular distribution"?
Nothing. Nor is there a "rectangular distribution" at the top. There is
a coefficient determined at each point of attachment and, for the
purposes of the wall panel design, the average between the two is used.
But, to be clear, the coefficient varies linearly according to h_sub_x
and increases with height. To me, that's a triangluar distribution. But
it doesn't really matter since it appears we would both use the same
coefficient to design the wall panel.

With regards to making someone feel stupid, no, hopefully I never do
that. If I do, I have been misunderstood. I just go back to what my
mentor taught me: "Good engineers take complicated problems and make
them simple, not the other way around." So, you see, he would not have
told me that if I had not been guilty of it at least once in my past.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
http://members.cox.net/ballense/