Infilling Openings in Existing Masonry Walls

I am currently working on a remodel project which requires closing some existing openings in a masonry wall. Of course, I want to do this with studs and gyp. Board, but the architect wants to do this in CMU. Call me crazy, but I want to drill and grout dowels around the perimeter of the existing opening in order to transfer shear forces from the infill to the existing. However, once I do, I can’t get in all of the blocks to close the openings.

How does everyone else solve this problem? This can’t be the first time an architect wanted to close an existing opening with CMU. Is it?

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

V/F (949) 248-8588

San Juan Capistrano, CA

http://members.cox.net/ballense/