seismic design manual - volume 1 - seaoc

I wrote:

"In other words, the far simpler
tributary-area method is more accurate than a
continuous-beam analysis."

Dave Adie wrote:

**da** is it? what about the negative moment at the
floor level?  this is a wall design, not a slab on
grade, elevated slab, roof reaction design.
**da**

Dave,
you're entirely right about the design of the wall
panel, assuming it is a continuous panel (looks like
it), although Jake Watson has a good point if there's
only one layer of reinforcing in the middle.

I read the problem too quickly, and thought it wanted
the reactions for the design of the building frames or
shear walls.  Note to self: don't do that on the SE2.

I do have to say, though, to take Bill Allen's advice
more seriously.  A good accurate analysis is
important, but don't overestimate it.  The degree to
which his (and my, and the Manual's) analysis
miss-estimates the forces is considerably less than
our uncertainty about the forces involved in the first
place.  This doesn't justify being lazy, but it might
help us to prioritize our efforts more toward good
details and clear plans, even if at the expense of a
more accurate analysis.  And bear in mind that the
same kind of engineers who appreciate this kind of
simplification also typically overdesign their
structures, and especially their connections, by more
than that.  Not out of laziness, but out of humility.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota