Re: IBC Sec. 1617.1

> Don't look at is a someone else backing you up...you have some rather
> clear (if not so clear in the IBC itself) documentation backing up your
> position.

The other engineer's incorrect assumption was that "E" simply a modified "V"
and is ALWAYS horizontal.  The IBC does not specifically say that you should
not add the second term (which starts as a vertical load) to the first term
to get a higher horizontal load.  You just have to know to keep the two
values separate, or do the research to get the right answer.

> And, you never know...I could really be some 12 year old kid who gets
> amused by making up bogus engineering answers to "mess" with some
> "older" folk!  <grin>

So that explains some of the answers on this list....

> Regards,
> Scott
> Ypsilanti, MI

Again, thanks.