From: Robert Rogers [mailto:RRogers(--nospam--at)lorwil.com]
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 12:35 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Infilling Openings in Existing Masonry Walls

Careful here........

By infilling a wall and grouting it solid you are changing the stiffness of the vertical resisting element......if diaphragms are rigid, this may change center of ridigity, center of mass & the stress / load distribution throughout......most people then to think I'm adding more stiffness / mass....good thing....well maybe not.....if the building's not properly detailed / designed for the changed load distribution....it almost starts a total "building analysis" ..........you know what your working with...so maybe it's not an issue.....

Could always dowel in / leave expansion joint material to try and isolate the stiffness...

Robert
Robert C. Rogers, PE