Re: Seismic Design of a Garden Trellis

Gerard,

UBC Section 101.3 states the scope of the code; it applies to " .  .  .   any building or structure .   .   .   ".

Section 106.2 lists work exempt from Permit.  The closest thing to a trellis in that list seems to be item 1. "One-story detached accessory building  used as too storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses provided the floor area does not exceed 120 sq ft."  It's probably taller than item 2., a 6 ft fence, so it won't do you any good to try to call the trellis a fence.

I'm planning a wisteria trellis in my front yard and had never considered getting a building permit for it.  Now what?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net