RE: Seismic Design of a Garden Trellis

CBC Appendix Sec. 3117 requires patio covers to be designed to sustain the loads of Chap 16.  Normally a patio cover wouldn't meet the  conventional framing requirements.  Maybe there should be a system to do that...and Calif. will now let NFPA do that.

Steve Widmayer, PE
-----Original Message-----
From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com]
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 11:27 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Seismic Design of a Garden Trellis

On a recent residential project I worked on, the architect designed some trellises/pergolas thingies for a porch. They are not attached to the house and are free standing. The architect provided footings and thrubolt connections at the top and bottom. The plan checker wants seismic calculations done to get a permit.

Is common in California? I find it odd that someone can build a house without engineering (if they follow the prescriptive code) but not garden trellis to let plants grow over and create shade.

Thanks,

-gerard