Connection Design for "Band" Around Round Wood Column Splice

I have a pile that I’m having to splice.

I am planning at this juncture to put a sheet-metal band around the pile covering the interface between the upper and lower piece, and fasten it through above and below the splice with lag screws.

I want this splice to be able to handle moments and shears. For shear I’m going to “assume” a 30 degree sector of the band as effective shear area.

For moment, I need to compute the forces at each fastener along the perimeter.

I need to “remember” how to calculate the contribution of each of these fasteners.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

Polhemus Engineering Company

Katy, Texas USA